History

The Jackson Jills, founded in 1963, were named after Cornelia Maria Jackson, who bequeathed funds to Tufts to help “remove the disabilities of women.”

In her name, Jackson College was founded in 1910 as a coordinate college to Tufts. An alternative to both womens’ colleges and fully coeducational schools, coordinate colleges provided women with a separate, and in theory equal, education at a womens’ college that existed in conjunction with a mens’ school.